Friday, May 30, 2014

Luminato Crime Free at TRL

If I were in a leaky lifeboat with Nuit Blanche and Luminato and I had to throw one of them overboard to save myself it would be Luminato. Why? Nuit Blanche is free at the venue, free in the street, Luminato is not, or at least most of its events are not. So imagine my surprise when I found out - thanks to Bill Clark at Toronto Writers Co-op - that Luminato is hosting an afternoon of Scandinavian crime fiction Sunday June 8 in the Bluma Appel Salon at the Toronto Reference Library. 

On the panel will be Norway's Thomas Enger, Jakob Melander from Denmark, Dan T. Sehlberg from Sweden and Herman Koch from The Netherlands. Herman's not a Scandinavian, of course, so I'll be interested to see how his views differ from those of his Nordic colleagues. And if his books have been translated into English I'd like to get ahold of them too. My knowledge of Dutch crime fiction is abysmal - OK, non-existent. In fact, I can only name one Dutch sleuth and that's Amsterdam cop Piet Van der Valk, a series written by Britain's Nicholas Freeling.

The MC next Sunday is Noah Richler. Tickets are free but have to be reserved - online is quickest and best. 


No comments: